Remote Work Tips
·Mar 16, 2020·
2 min read
As someone who can do their job from anywhere and is very used to working from home, here are some things I like to share with friends when they ask me for any tips:
- Don't sleep in - wake up with enough time to start your day, as if you're going into work. Brush your teeth, if anything for your dog!
- No PJs! Change into something else. It doesn't have to be business casual, just something that you wouldn't want to nap in.
- Have a dedicated space to work, and start your day there. Since most of us have laptops I will move around the house as I work, but the majority of my hours are spent in my home office, not on the couch. Bonus points if you sit outside!
- Do take breaks, just be smart about it. Make some more tea, grab a quick snack, let your dogs out. Set reminders or alarms if you need to.
- Take an actual break for lunch! Maybe even go for a quick walk around the neighborhood.
- If it is too quiet, play some background music or even a podcast. It might sound like you're back in the office!
- Find a quiet spot for meetings. My dogs somehow know when I'm in a meeting -and unmute- and that's when they decide to bark at squirrels. Be ready for that.
- Know when to end your day.
- Make sure your laptop is plugged in.
- Keep in contact! With not only your coworkers but the humans in your house as well. Especially now. Reach out, say hey, share a fun fact, or even a picture of what your dog has been up to.